Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Next Door

Advance Happy New Year dear reader!:)

How did the holidays go for you? I bet you had a lot of booze, food and holiday cheers. I had a fair share of that as well. In fact, I had a really good time with my family that a friendly neighbor who came calling out my name wasn't heard. When I finally did, I opened the door to see what she wanted and she didn't want anything - she was there to give out. Held in her hands was a dish made from her own kitchen. I gladly took it, thanking her with respect. Rushing inside the house, I began to rummage through my our dining hall for something to give to her in return. I managed to give her a serving of my Dad's best dish which she received with joy.

I started to ponder on what just happened and realized that it wasn't just an act of an ordinary neighbor. In truth, it was how the Filipinos went about. We give what we have to our neighbors or to our friends as a sign of hospitality. We offer our services even if we are busy. I realized that we aren't that bad as a people at all. Like what they say, it's better to give than to receive. Knock on your neighbors' doorstep, they'd be happy to have you in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment