Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Who is F.L.J?

I vividly recall this name when I was still in my elementary years. If I am not mistaken, the name was resounding from the issue of the tabon man and the first Filipino. Who is F. Landa Jocano then? In my attempt to gather my needed information, I was provided with a heap that I would not fit all of them in here.







Felipe Landa Jocano is an eminent historian, anthropologist, scholar and professor emeritus of the University of the Philippines. He is also the executive director the PUNLAD Research House where most of this works are published. Jocano is famous for his writings about the Filipino in ancient times, the ethnic divisions and the history of various ethnic groups which are oftentimes used as textbooks in a college setting.









One of great works include Hinilawod: Adventures of Humadapnon. This book tells of the story of the three demigod brothers - Labaw Donggon, Humadapnon and Dumadalapdap of Ancient Panay. He also recounts a concise version of the story in his book Philippine Mythology. It took him a lot of effort in writing down the epic. He climbed the hinterlands of Panay while collecting the needed information to put the pieces together.


No comments:

Post a Comment